Adventures in Cooking

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I have a saag paneer obsession. Actually, scratch that, this harks back to my ongoing love affair with greens. Which all started with my love of spinach. Even as a child, I loved loved loved spinach. Even canned spinach!

Last night I made a quick and easy saag tofu. I had a huge bunch of fresh spinach in the fridge and so it was only a matter of time before I attempted it. I'd never made saag paneer before so skimmed a few recipes online to get an idea of what to do to get there, without having to go to the shops for more ingredients.

This is how I made mine:
I sauteed one chopped onion and two cloves of garlic in a bit of olive oil. I added generous amounts of garam masala, cumin, mustard seeds and some curry powder (currently I'm using a really nice powder I got from the asian grocer, I don't know the brand). While that was cooking I cubed some firm tofu I'd pressed for a half hour, and sprinkled the tofu cubes with some soy and balsamic vinegar. Once the onion mixture cooked, I added the bunch of spinach (which I had thoroughly rinsed and chopped roughly). When the spinach was wilted, I zipped the mixture in our food processor and set it aside. I rinsed the pan I'd used and heated a bit of oil in it. When the oil was hot I quickly pan fried the tofu cubes and set them aside to drain. I made a quick roux in the pan, and added a bit of water to make a thin gravy. I then added back in the tofu, the spinach puree and one chopped ripe tomato. I tested for flavor and added some salt and the juice of a lime.

Delish.

Don't know how authentic it was, but it was one of the best dinners I've made in a few weeks. Mmmmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home