Adventures in Cooking

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Pressure Cooking Madness

Oh how I do love the pressure cooker. I do I do I do!

I've made lots of things in it, but here is one particularly successful and yummy dish:

Golden Rice

1 c long grain rice (or basmati)
1. 5 c broth (I used veggie)
1 tsp oil
1 small chopped onion
1-2 grated carrots

Heat oil in pressure cooker and add onion. Cook until translucent and fragrant. Add rice and stir to coat the grains. Carefully add the broth (watch out for sputtering), and grated carrot. Put lid on the cooker and bring to pressure. Once under full pressure, cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the pressure cooker to come down naturally for 7 minutes. Quick release any remaining steam at this time. Adjust seasoning (I think I ended up adding a touch of white pepper and sea salt at this point as my veggie broth had no salt).

The original recipe called for stirring in some chopped dill just prior to serving, but I didn't bother. It was wonderful just as is. I think it would be wonderful with dill as well. Or toasted sesame seeds.

This rice dish could quickly become an addiction. I'm already thinking of making the same recipe, but replacing the carrots with beets....oooh pink rice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home