Adventures in Cooking

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Vegetarian Chili and Cornbread Casserole

This is what I made for dinner last night. I served it with some wilted collard greens and a light cucumber salad.

Here's how I made it:

First, I roughly chopped about 8 oz of homemade seitan and half an onion. I sauteed these until onion was translucent and seitan was browned. I then added one packet of chili-mix (one of those envelopes you can buy in any suburban grocer, the cheaper the better), a can of drained navy beans, and 16 oz of tomato sauce. I made sure this was all heated through nicely and removed it from the heat.

Meanwhile, I set the oven to 400 and lightly oiled a round casserole (I think 2 qt?). I threw a can of corn (some liquid drained) into the food processor and pulsed until creamy. I added the creamed corn and one egg (egg substitute) to a 6 oz packet of cornbread mix.

I layered half the cornbread batter into the casserole, topped it with the chili, and finished off with the second half of the cornbread batter.

This was toasty and brown in about 25 minutes. I removed it from the oven and let it rest while I quickly wilted some rough chopped collard greens and peeled and chopped a cucumber. I tossed the cucumber with a bit of lime juice, some adobo seasonings, and some pepper.

This was a fab dinner! Not only do I have leftovers for tonight, but all in all a super cheap and super healthy meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home